Over the past couple of years I've acquired some esoteric materials, that I cannot use up in a lifetime - even buying the smallest quantity is more than I can use. I'd rather they were used than just sit in boxes. These include:
- fine dental plaster (unslaked) - loads of this, because the smallest quantity I could buy was 1kg - is the bulk of gesso
- armenian bole - I have lots, and you only ever need a tiny amount to tint gesso
- gum ammoniac in chunks, not liquid - adhesive for gold
- gum arabic, chunks not liquid - another adhesive and all-round useful additive
- pumice powder, to add to pounce
- gum sandarac, also goes into pounce
- refined ox gall liquid - plenty available, for thinning pigments to keep them running smoothly, used 1 drop at a time
If you are interested in any of these materials, I can bring them with me. I have some small containers, but if you have your own teeny jam jars or small sealable bags, that would be a great help.
You can put a donation towards my drinks fund, but I'd be interested in swapping any interesting tools or materials you've found that you have spare. Do you have favourite nibs, pen handles, scraping knives, and have a spare?
Items that you've already found useful are best - I'm not after your tools, so much as your experience of what works for you, for what results. Art shops are full of cool tools, but I want to know what works for other Society scribes, from them.
Please contact me, here or by e-mail, to let me know what you would like, and I'll make sure I'll bring it. I'm on public transport, so I'll bring items on request, but not on spec.
Here's to more nifty toys to try out!